My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unique Halloween Decor Ideas

Until the calender reads November, we are free to mix fall decor with just enough Halloween treasures to give a nod to the spooky and scary. The idea is to be unique, a little quirky and most of all, fun.
Many years ago I collected antique and vintage wedding photographs. As time has passed I have come to only display the images of couples that appear truly happy. With that said, I had a little idea for the photos that just were not happy enough for me. Here, this couple's wedding portrait became a perfect canvas for some Halloween trickery! I printed out a small skull graphic and glued it to a piece of a post-it note to cover the face of the groom. Then, I added a haunted house fence along the bottom. 
It is a fun and creepy accent piece that is easy to do with any photo or even magazine picture.
On a previous post, you may remember, I shared my "3G's" of display... gather like items, group them together and ground them on a tray, pedestal or similar. Here, I created a little seasonal vignette on a vintage silver cake stand. This is a great way to add seasonal decor without taking up too much space.
This is a new favorite item. I purchased this antique French anatomy print of skulls when I was in Paris.
I added a simple black matt and placed it into a Halloween display as a backdrop. Prints and photos are great ways to back up displays and give you an opportunity to define the theme.
This is a customer favorite... glass pedestal with cloche filled with skull and bones! 
What more can I say? It is easy to do and very fun.
Lastly, I have always loved how pretty books add to a display as accents or as risers. Here I used a great book titled Victorian Murderesses (I found at a flea market) as a riser to compliment the decor. 
I hope you can add a little bit of Halloween decor to your home. A few classic, unique pieces can bring  some spooky fun to your fall.
Enjoy the season and Happy (Haunting) Hunting!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!