My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Repurposed Silver

While on my travels this August, I came across a very large charity thrift shop. I passed through rather quickly, scanning as walked.  I was about to leave when I notice a little counter in the corner with a sign "Treasure Corner"...what a coincidence, I am looking for treasure! So there it was, in the corner, in the back, piled up and all taped together. It was 5 pieces of victorian silver plate. "May I see that please?" I asked the young lady working there. I knew I would buy this pile-o-silver before it was even in my hands. There was a floral patterned brides basket, a calling card dish with sheep heads and a dog, a large bowl, a bud vase and this piece...
At one time this was a pickle castor stand. Now, without it's glass vessel, the silver stand has no real function or purpose. Well, it was so beautifully detailed that I had to find a use for it. 
This candle is a bit too narrow, but you get the idea. I plan to use this stand as a unique base to hold a deep red citrus and spice candle at Le Potager this upcoming holiday season. Today's treasure can be a lesson to us all about repurposing items, even antiques. In addition to holding a candle, this piece could hold; a simple glass vase, a liquid soap bottle, small flower pot or even a perfume bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!