My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Silver Teapots and Spring Flowers

It is that wonderful time of year when the garden is bursting with gorgeous flowers of all sizes, shapes and colors. As much as I love how the garden looks when spring arrives, it is a must to cut some of the blooms and bring spring indoors.  My favorite early spring vessels for flowers are vintage and antique tea pots, mainly silver to showcase the blossoms.
My antique Edwardian silver teapot, an estate sale find, with ebony handle and raspberry roses.
My vintage Art Deco silver coffee pot, thrift store find, with red bakelite handle and beautiful yellow ranunculus.
Here I used the entire antique silver tea set, an estate sale find,  to hold roses from three different bushes. I filled creamer, sugar, tea pot and coffee pot. Grounding the entire vignette on an oversize silver tray allows for a soft beautiful reflection and holds dropped petals perfectly.
This beautiful painting perfectly expresses my love of tea pots (or coffee pots) as lovely vases for  informal bouquets of gathered flowers. Silver Tea Pot with Nasturtiums
This Beyler print is so feminine and mirrors the look that I love this spring. The reflective silver, the soft  hues, the lush petals and the fresh green leaves. The tea pot has actually become part of the arrangement not just a vase holding flowers. 
Do you have a silver tea pot? The answer is most likely, yes. If so, bring it out this spring and use it. If not, they are relatively easy to find second hand.
Maybe you have a teapot that is old and has no silver left, I never thought of painting one but wouldn't this once silver, now purple painted coffee pot be fun filled with a mass of white roses?
Once you cut your flowers tie them into a tight bouquet with string or a rubber band. Then set a glass or jar into the teapot to protect the interior from flower water doing any damaging. Fill with water and add your bouquet. The final accent to a beautiful display to sprinkle loose petals about. Your spring flowers will last a little longer by changing the water everyday. Enjoy!
Happy treasure hunting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen - what a great idea - I'm going to use it this Mother's Day for a tea I'm giving - maybe every table will have a teapot with flowers in it. Years ago I worked at (the now sadly gone) Simpsons dept. store in the china dept. and we all got first dibs on any cracked china - I had a great Royal Doulton tea pot with a hairline crack (that didn't leak) - we potted it up with African Violets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!