My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Décor Trends at Market

I am a glass is half full kind of girl, always have been and hope I always am. However, when I was at market wrapping up our holiday buying, I took some time to really look at what vendors are offering us in the year-round home accents and furnishings world.
Frankly, I was disappointed this market. I am well aware of the influence a challenging economy has on what is available to us but, it was very apparent to me that most manufacturers have taken a bandaid approach to their catalogues. We are being fed pretty little things but very little in the way substance, quality or originality. I have come to believe that when we look back upon this time in history there will be no contributions to home décor and design. I think that is a shame.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many strong wonderful lines out there but even they are cautious to venture beyond what they have been doing for the last several years. I am ever so thankful for the continued popularity of global vintage and antiques in interior design. I think without that influence we would be in a bad spot.
What did I see trending? An interesting twist of vibrant décor items such as carpet and lamps paired with monochromatic accessories. Painted furniture, unique hardware and antique reproductions
 Bright colored carpets.
Colorful printed lamp shades.
Painted furniture.
Lots...
And lots...
of painted furniture.
Accessories did not appear to be out of the ordinary either, however they too have added more vibrant colors to their lines. Yes, many of the items have been the same for the last several seasons but the happy color schemes did breath some new life into them.
The bottom line, for me as a retailer is, I have my work cut out for me. We will continue to create our own look and set our own trends by combining small selections of many, many lines.
I think that is what is so inspiring to our customers, creating vignettes with antiques and very well chosen new items just like we all do at home. There is nothing less inspiring than walking into a shop and seeing an overabundance of the same thing. Generally not very appealing in the shop or in your home. We work diligently to avoid that at all costs.
I apologize for the photo quality on this post. I was using my phone rather stealthly as some showrooms do not like photos being taken. They are always worried that their lines may be copied. No worries with me.
More treasure hunting this week... stay tuned.
Happy Hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!