My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Anyone have a match?

In days-gone-by craftsmanship was truly honored and craftsmen themselves revered. Nearly all personal items carried by both men and women were made to be beautiful, functional and last for generations to come. This stunning sterling silver match safe is a perfect example of each of those points. 
Other pieces commonly carried included pocket watches, watch fobs, calling card cases, match safes (as shown below), dance card cases, snuff boxes and so many more items.  
These items were meant to use and more importantly designed to have long lives, unlike much of today's craftsmanship. This lovely floral embossed, sterling silver match safe was a real deal at a tiny yard sale. The little gem was dirty and black with tarnish and with just a little attention, it is once again a true beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!