My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

What is a Gurgling Jug?


My treasure du jour is a fabulous vintage English "gurgling jug".  I have a soft spot for green majolica glazes with their rich deep colors, which is what attracted me to this pitcher at an outdoor flea market.  Some uses for this pitcher are obvious, water pitcher or flower vase.  Consider using a unique pitcher to set and/or compliment a theme. Imagine this pitcher full with soft coastal style grass centered on a vintage silver tray filled with sea shells and star fish. It is a simple contained centerpiece for a summer beach themed table.  


Gurgling jugs were intended for use as water jugs – they inherited their name due to the sound they made when liquid was poured out.  They were also used as advertising items by breweries, and over the years hundreds were made to advertise ‘Plymouth Gin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!