My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

New Uses for Old Treasures

Tucked away in the dark corners of china cabinets and kitchen cupboards are the charming pieces of tableware that belonged to generations past. We keep so many items that we promise ourselves we will use someday. Well, as we have all learned, someday never comes. Now, may be the time to show these wonderful pieces the light of day, include them in our holiday tablescapes and share them with our friends and families.
While a silver coffee service is rarely a practical addition to our holiday table, I always encourage my clients and customers to include family silver as decor for the holidays especially. We tend to forget that the next generation may not have the connection to family pieces as we do. Include grandma's silver and great-grandmother's china in vignettes on your sideboard. Open the channels of discussion, share stories and continue to include and honor those family members, who left use treasures, in your holiday celebrations.
Use a beautiful tureen, that you may be too worried serve food in, as a beautiful vessel to hold seasonal treasures from mother nature.  Add a piece like this to your entry table, coffee table, kitchen or buffet table. This is another great way to pay homage to generations past.
Many pieces of antique tableware have outlived there usefulness on todays tables. This is my favorite use for antique napkin rings- simply perch a small pine cone on the top and tuck a place card into the cone. If this natural look does not fit your table decor, paint the pine cones high gloss white and add glass glitter to the tips.
Vintage collections can add to your table decor in unexpected ways. Here we added a collection of antique Germany metal animals to the table. Charming and unique, they add interest and spark conversation relating to the family members who treasures added to this collection.
Grouping like items is the key to meaningful displays. Here, vintage silver plate baskets have much more impact when grouped than they would alone. Just one item from a family member can spark an heirloom collection, which you can continue to add to as you find others at flea markets. Filled with seasonal treasures, antique baskets, boxes or bowls can be filled to accent any decor.
Get out those family treasures and include them in your holiday celebrations. What could be better than actually using pieces from generations past to create an heirloom holiday for all to enjoy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!