My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Antique Toast Rack New Life

The thought of serving or even being served breakfast which includes toast in a silver toast rack takes me back a century to a time where lovely items adorned the table of even the most simple meal.
Today, the toast rack can serve as a useful item in almost any decor. In addition to the obvious, a toast rack has an endless number of uses and could serve many uses both inside and outside of the kitchen breakfast room.
One of the most common uses today, for these slightly outdated toast racks, is as a letter/mail holder.
Here I have used the rack to display some of my vintage postcards which would look great on an entry table or desk. This is also a charming way to display a handful of current or vintage family photos.
Even empty, this rack's design and simple lines are beautiful.
Here is one of my favorite uses however, it is only possible with the larger size racks like this one, at over eight inches long. The rack can hold up to six dessert size plates and makes a wonderful presentation for a casual dinner parties appetizer and/or dessert courses.
When I hunt for vintage silver toast racks my thought is always to find the right combination of size and  design. I love that the larger pieces can serve many purposes but the tiny ones are useful and so cute.
Should you have a rack or are looking to add one to your decor, you don't need to tuck it away when you are not using it. Enjoy it and give it new life by including it in a vignette in your home.
Happy Hunting!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen - what a great idea to use the toast rack as a plate rack! Would never have thought of that - I bet it would great on a dessert buffet. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is darling...so glad I found it. I use a toast rack in my office for sorting bills, envelopes, etc and one on my hutch to hold butter pats. They are fun to use in other than intended purposes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!