My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Very Unique Flea Visit

I am still delighted by the thoughts of my visit to the flea market today. I started earlier than usual to try to avoid the mob scene that I encountered last time I attended this market. It is so interesting to me, how from month to month the same flea market has a different personality. Today's market, if given a single word to describe it, I would say it was "unique".
There were characters at every turn. Dealers wearing top hats and clown clothes. Shoppers wearing bermuda shorts with socks and sandals, smoking cigars. Add to this, dozens and dozens of four legged characters. Some wearing dresses and tutus, even some wearing booties. Many of the four legged shoppers were lucky enough to be carried all day, but this guy was living the life...
 Being entertained by the people and pets was only part of todays market experience as, much to my delight, the merchandise began to take on that same unique character.
I seemed to find whimsey everywhere. This dealer had dozens of these vintage mannequins with extremely long necks posed in very interesting arrangements... unique!
For some strange reason even these old typewriters brought back funny memories of an old Buster Keaton movie I saw long ago. However, the conversation between two women shoppers in their 70's put a smile on my face as they bickered about which of their secretarial jobs using these styles of typewriters was worse... amusing! 
In this booth the vendor (husband) was sound asleep leaning up against a pile of their pillows... funny!
I did not purchase nearly as much as I would have liked so we (Mr. Treasure and I) walked down the hill to the fabulous farmers market.
We picked up some great, farm fresh, organic, locally grown veggies and some beautiful, fresh picked, California strawberries. We also treated ourselves to a freshly baked baguette and a jar of homemade marmalade. Heaven!

 We had a thoroughly enjoyable morning. I did bring home a couple of lovely treasures. Two silver pieces in particular that I will be photographing tomorrow. I hope to clean them and show you before and after photos. It was a truly unique day at the flea. Fun!
Happy Hunting!



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's not the shopping but the experience of the flea market that keeps it interesting. Looks like it was a beautiful day for wandering.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!