My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Monday, October 10, 2011

The French Canister Set

This great, complete set of French canisters was a recent flea market find. It was one of those items that I found late in the day. I was very taken with the set however, I was rushing to get back to a separate dealer to pick up another item. In my haste, after considering the canisters, I walked away. I immediately noticed I was forgetting something (or someone). . . my husband. He was just standing there looking at me. I walked back and as I approached he said "Will you be sorry if you don't buy these?" Well, long story short, here they are! I am happy to say (and he is happy to hear me tell him and you) that he was right.
Whether you call it enamelware, enameled ware or graniteware, these are perfect examples of basic utilitarian pieces made to be beautiful as well.  These highly sought after antiques served in household kitchens of Europe, in a gentler time when even the most humble items were cherished.  Most of these antiques sought after by collectors today were manufactured between the late 1800's and 1930's. 
Collecting antique French enamelware pieces that are unusual, rare or just charming, can add a wonderful vintage look to your kitchen or butler's pantry.  Even a single piece can be used as a utensil holder, flower vase or candy jar. I will be saving this set for my Paris Flea Market booth in the spring. In the meantime, I think I will enjoy them in my own kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!