My passion, after my family of course, is Treasure Hunting. The simple beauty of things from by-gone eras have always spoken to me. Whether these treasures are found at a flea market, fine antique store, estate sale, thrift shop, or in the family attic, surprises abound.
As an interior designer, I believe it is vital to balance your decor by including found and family treasures. Surrounding yourself with things you love should always be the goal, from there you will find your true style.
As I shop, I may have a client in mind or I may want to resell at our french flea market or in my shop. I am lucky to have several outlets for my treasures including my own home! I plan to share my searching, hunting, travels, and treasures with you and encourage you to enjoy adding your treasures to your home.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vintage Demijohn Find

Once in a blue moon, while antique shopping, one gets to experience the real joy of discovering an unexpected treasure... today I was thrilled to have such an experience when I stumbled upon this beautiful vintage green glass demijohn.
This is a massive bottle both in weight and size. It measures over 26" tall and 56" in circumference. It is the most glorious shade of green. The glass is freckled with air bubbles that were trapped inside the glass during blowing. The glass has a water-like wave to it which in this photo, is most visible in the shadow on the backdrop fabric.
Demijohns or carboys were, and continue to be, bottles used in the production of spirits such as wines, ales and even some cognacs. Bottles were housed in wood, wicker, basket or wire cradles to support and protect the glass. This bottle no longer has its cradle, leaving it completely exposed.
Although vintage demijohns served very utilitarian purposes in times passed, today these beautiful bottles serve in several aspects of modern design.  Consider using this piece as an actual vase, holding very tall branches on a side table or buffet. Demijohns are perfect for filling large spaces such as inside soffits or even on top of a refrigerator. Currently, one of the most popular purposes is actually a re-purposing by turning these bottles into table lamps. Topped with an extra large drum style shade this is a true statement piece. I have not decided which route to take, for now it will sit on my veranda and until I am inspired to do something with it, I will enjoy its feminine shape and glorious color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to hear from fellow bloggers. Let me know what you think about my treasures or share a treasure of your own. Happy hunting!